jamesldz

Can I deduct miles that I travel between my two farms if I live on one of them ?

I have two farms where I raise cattle which are 21 miles apart. I live on one of the farms. Are the miles traveled between these two locations deductible or are they commuter miles?

Cattlerancher

Yes, that is deductible mileage between farms, even if you rent the farms. Expenses for travel between your home and other work locations are deductible if your residence is your principal place of business.

Below is a cut and paste from IRS pub. 225, page 22;

Travel Expenses You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you incur while traveling away from home for your farm business. You can't deduct lavish or extravagant expenses. Usually, the location of your farm business is considered your home for tax purposes. You are traveling away from home if: Your duties require you to be absent from your farm substantially longer than an ordinary work day, and You need to get sleep or rest to meet the demands of your work while away from home. If you meet these requirements and can prove the time, place, and business purpose of your travel, you can deduct your ordinary and necessary travel expenses. The following are some types of deductible travel expenses. Air, rail, bus, and car transportation; Meals and lodging; Dry cleaning and laundry; Telephone and fax; Transportation between your hotel and your temporary work or business meeting location; and Tips for any of the above expenses.

Cattlerancher