turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct improvement expenses made to a property that my parents put in my name thru a life estate?

My parents put their house in my name thru a life estate in 2002.  I paid for some updates (kitchen remodel 2012, roof 2008) while my father was still living there. He passed away in 2013 so I know my cost basis shifts to value at his death.  I replaced the HVAC (central air and gas furnace) and sold the house last year.  It was not my primary residence so I know I will pay cap gains on the sale.  I am wondering if I can deduct the cost of the improvements that I made with the roof, kitchen and HVAC from the cap gains taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
M-MTax
Level 10

Can I deduct improvement expenses made to a property that my parents put in my name thru a life estate?

You can't include the cost of those improvements before your father died because you didn't own the house. You had a remainder interest not full ownership. You can use the FMV on the date of your father's death as your basis though which might give you a better result. Of course you can include the improvements you made in your basis AFTER you became owner of the property......when the life estate ended.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you can't deduct the cost of the Improvements you made, but you can add them to the Cost Basis of the home, which will reduce taxable capital gains. 

Here's more info on How Capital Gains are Taxed.

You don't mention whether your mother has passed; calculations of the property's Cost Basis may differ if so.

Here's more discussion of Cost Basis of Life Estate Property. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for the reply.  My mother passed away before my father, so I am using the city assessment done the month and year that he passed as the cost basis.  I was unaware that improvements were not deductions but instead to be added to the cost basis - but that makes sense.  Does it matter that some of the updates to the property were paid for a few months before he died? Or am I ok to include those since I have the receipts for the work and the house was technically in my name?  This is very helpful - thanks again!

M-MTax
Level 10

You can't include the cost of those improvements before your father died because you didn't own the house. You had a remainder interest not full ownership. You can use the FMV on the date of your father's death as your basis though which might give you a better result. Of course you can include the improvements you made in your basis AFTER you became owner of the property......when the life estate ended.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies