Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct from my taxes the workers compensation deductions I am forced to pay as an IC for the company I work for.

The amount of the Workers Compensation is never listed on the 1099 I receive from the company I work for, so the only proof I have that it was paid was my last pay stub.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanH

Can I deduct from my taxes the workers compensation deductions I am forced to pay as an IC for the company I work for.

If you are an Independent Contractor and file a Schedule C then yes, you may deduct the cost of your Workers Compensation expense. You cannot however "double-dip". 

If the amount that this particular company reports on your 1099-MISC is your contract amount in full {say $1000} then you can deduct your Workers Comp (WC) insurance {say $100} on your Schedule C as an expense. 

If what was actually reported on the 1099-MISC was only $900 (in our example) and that's the amount you reported on your Schedule C then you couldn't also deduct the WC because you had never claimed that amount having been included as income. 

The key is... if actual cash received (in our example) was $900 then you can claim $1000 in income and $100 in WC expense (Taxable $900). However, you cannot claim $900 in income and also deduct the $100 WC expense (Taxable only $800).

[updated 1/19/16 @ 1317PST]

How to get started entering the information for your Schedule C business

In your TurboTax Home & Business edition:

• Click the Business tab, and Continue.
  • On the How do you want to enter your business income? screen:
  • Go through all areas sequentially by clicking Walk me through everything. under Guide me, or I'll choose what I work on under I'll explore on my own.
  • Choose your topics by clicking Start/Update and follow the prompts.

You can also use the TurboTax search box by entering Schedule C and clicking on the Jump to Schedule C link.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Is it a policy you bought yourself, or through the company for whom you are working?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://injury.findlaw.com/workers-compensation/workers-compensation-for-the-self-employed.html">http...>
and you do not get a "pay stub" if you get a 1099-MISC
Also see this:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Self-Employed...>

The company I am working for as an IC is taking the deductions out of my pay.  I did not buy on my own.  I work for other companies in the same capacity and they do not take WC out.

Is the amount on the 1099 they give you for the gross amount of compensation or the net (after they take out the WC)?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Mandatory workers compensation insurance is normally withheld for employees, not independent contractors, but the law is a state law and is different in every state.    In most states mandatory workers computation is a deductible state tax but that depends on state law.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

net after they take out the WC

sorry its gross not net
SusanH

If you are an Independent Contractor and file a Schedule C then yes, you may deduct the cost of your Workers Compensation expense. You cannot however "double-dip". 

If the amount that this particular company reports on your 1099-MISC is your contract amount in full {say $1000} then you can deduct your Workers Comp (WC) insurance {say $100} on your Schedule C as an expense. 

If what was actually reported on the 1099-MISC was only $900 (in our example) and that's the amount you reported on your Schedule C then you couldn't also deduct the WC because you had never claimed that amount having been included as income. 

The key is... if actual cash received (in our example) was $900 then you can claim $1000 in income and $100 in WC expense (Taxable $900). However, you cannot claim $900 in income and also deduct the $100 WC expense (Taxable only $800).

[updated 1/19/16 @ 1317PST]

How to get started entering the information for your Schedule C business

In your TurboTax Home & Business edition:

• Click the Business tab, and Continue.
  • On the How do you want to enter your business income? screen:
  • Go through all areas sequentially by clicking Walk me through everything. under Guide me, or I'll choose what I work on under I'll explore on my own.
  • Choose your topics by clicking Start/Update and follow the prompts.

You can also use the TurboTax search box by entering Schedule C and clicking on the Jump to Schedule C link.

ciary29

Can you walk me  how to get to schedule C please?

Schedule C is in the Home and Business edition under business income.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ciary29

My husband has the same issue  he received a 1099 gross and the amount that he was forced to paid for
WC is not showing on the 1099.

EIC is automatic.  It would be on line 66a of the 1040 form if he qualifies.
SusanH

Please see the updated answer for how to get started on your Schedule C
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies