turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct all of the state sales tax I paid for a new car in a locality that has a higher general rate (7.8%) than where I live (6.1%), as a big ticket item?

Please indicate the proper way to use the TurboTax Easyguide to enter sales tax for this type of purchase.  For example, do I show that I "lived" in a different locality for a day (which I effectively did), to enter the different tax rate?  Or do I calculate a different sales tax amount than I actually paid and enter that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Can I deduct all of the state sales tax I paid for a new car in a locality that has a higher general rate (7.8%) than where I live (6.1%), as a big ticket item?

Yes, for an auto, the tax rate that you claim doesn't need to be the same as the general tax rate. You can claim the tax amount actually paid.
The deduction for sales tax is under the deductions and credits tab.  Go to: 

• Deductions and Credits
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Sales Tax.
  • Click Update next to Sales Tax.
  • Click Continue.
  • Select Easy Guide
  • Click Edit next to your sales tax rate.
  • Click Continue twice and you will then be on the page where you enter your car or other major purchases.

You can deduct sales tax on a new or used purchased or leased vehicle or boat but, if you live in a state with a state income tax, it probably isn't to your advantage to do so.  To claim sales taxes on a vehicle or boat you need to meet two criteria.  You must itemize deductions, and your sales tax deduction, including the sales tax on the vehicle must exceed your state income tax.

Realistically, in most states with a state income tax, the state income taxes would be higher than the state sales taxes, even with sales tax on a car added.

If you claim the standard deduction, you cannot deduct sales taxes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Yes, for an auto, the tax rate that you claim doesn't need to be the same as the general tax rate. You can claim the tax amount actually paid.
The deduction for sales tax is under the deductions and credits tab.  Go to: 

• Deductions and Credits
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Sales Tax.
  • Click Update next to Sales Tax.
  • Click Continue.
  • Select Easy Guide
  • Click Edit next to your sales tax rate.
  • Click Continue twice and you will then be on the page where you enter your car or other major purchases.

You can deduct sales tax on a new or used purchased or leased vehicle or boat but, if you live in a state with a state income tax, it probably isn't to your advantage to do so.  To claim sales taxes on a vehicle or boat you need to meet two criteria.  You must itemize deductions, and your sales tax deduction, including the sales tax on the vehicle must exceed your state income tax.

Realistically, in most states with a state income tax, the state income taxes would be higher than the state sales taxes, even with sales tax on a car added.

If you claim the standard deduction, you cannot deduct sales taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies