Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gofastmikey
Returning Member

Can I deduct a Nanny's salary as Medical Expenses for my invalid wife who needs assistance with every basic needs?

She needs assistance getting in and out of bed, going to the bathroom, bathing, preparing food and eating. I have reviewed IRS Publication 502 and seems to indicate the Nanny's salary can be a Medical Expense. Just want another opinion.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Can I deduct a Nanny's salary as Medical Expenses for my invalid wife who needs assistance with every basic needs?

Yes. But it is complicated. Your best resource for this topic is IRS Pub. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses and I am pleased that you have already found it useful.

Generally, you can deduct as medical expenses the costs of a nurse or attendant in your home who provides nursing services to a sick or injured member of your household. Nursing services include wound care, dispensing medications, and bathing and grooming the individual.

While the amount paid for personal and household services is typically disallowed as a deduction, it may be included under provisions for long term care of a chronically ill person. See Pub. 502, pp. 10-11.

You may also deduct some or all of the cost of meals provided to the attendant, and the employment taxes you incur incident to their employment within your home.

On a personal note, may you be blessed for your diligence and care in providing so well for your wife's health, safety, and dignity.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Yes. But it is complicated. Your best resource for this topic is IRS Pub. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses and I am pleased that you have already found it useful.

Generally, you can deduct as medical expenses the costs of a nurse or attendant in your home who provides nursing services to a sick or injured member of your household. Nursing services include wound care, dispensing medications, and bathing and grooming the individual.

While the amount paid for personal and household services is typically disallowed as a deduction, it may be included under provisions for long term care of a chronically ill person. See Pub. 502, pp. 10-11.

You may also deduct some or all of the cost of meals provided to the attendant, and the employment taxes you incur incident to their employment within your home.

On a personal note, may you be blessed for your diligence and care in providing so well for your wife's health, safety, and dignity.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies