SutFam

Can I deduct a donation to high school sports team that my child participated with?

Our child was on the public high school snowboard team (a school-sponsored sport) and we were asked to make a $2000 'donation' to help cover team costs of coaching & transportation; as part of this, she received a lift ticket valued at $449. 

Can we deduct the amount we donated as a charity deduction, minus the value of the lift ticket?

AnnetteB

Yes, you can deduct the donation that you made in excess of the value of the lift ticket that was received. 

AnnetteB