turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim the standard deduction on my federal return and use Schedule A (itemized deductions) for the State return?

If claiming standard deduction on the 2023 federal return and using Itemized deductions on the state return is not allowed, should I file an amended return before I receive my refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim the standard deduction on my federal return and use Schedule A (itemized deductions) for the State return?

California allows itemizing deductions while taking the standard deduction on the federal return. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You can file with the standard deduction on your federal return and itemize on your state return if your state allows it.  If you have to amend your return wait until your return has been processed and any refund or tax liability has been settled. . 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

"Should I file an amended return before I receive my refund?"

Are you saying that you have already filed your Federal 1040 tax return?  But now you would like to amend it before you file your state tax return?

Or are you saying something else?

Some states will allow you to itemize deductions on the state income tax return even if you claim the standard deduction on the Federal 1040 tax return.  What state income tax return are you filing?

If you have already filed your Federal 1040 tax return, you need to wait until the Federal 1040 tax return has been accepted and the IRS has approved the refund (if there is one.)

But it is best to wait until you receive the refund from the IRS before you process a amended Federal 1040 tax return.

If you used TurboTax Online, log in to your account and select Amend a return that was filed and accepted.

If you used the CD/download product, sign back into your return and select Amend a filed return

See also this TurboTax Help.

@hprice300 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I live in the state of California and want to know if it is legal to file standard deduction on the federal return and itemize on the state return. Turbo Tax recently submitted my return and it was accepted, but it takes a couple of weeks for the refund.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can use the standard deduction on your federal return and itemize on your California return. Just make sure you enter all your itemized deductions in the federal return so these will flow to your state return. 

Turbo Tax will then compare your itemized deduction amount with your Ca. standard deduction amount and report the deduction that is beneficial to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

California allows itemizing deductions while taking the standard deduction on the federal return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies