Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my mortgage cosigner's 1099c on my return?

My Father co-signed my mortgage.  The house was eventually sold in a short-sale.  He and I were each issued a 1099c.  Can I claim his 1099c on my tax return so he can avoid being taxed on that amount?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Because you both were co-signers that is why 2 1099C's were issued.

The 1099C only has to have the total amount reported once. So if it lists, for example, $100K forgiven, as long as the $100K shows up on one of the two returns.  Your father could get a letter from the IRS two years from now, and he will need to show that you reported 100% of the 1099C.  He would provide this information only if it is requested. 

The tax law on forgiveness of debt on a home to be excluded from income was extended with the Feb 2018 budget bill that just passed, so it is possible that when you account for the 1099C it may not be taxable to you either.

Please click on the link below for more detail on this.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/how-to-avoid-taxes-on-canceled-mortgage-debt/L8j...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Because you both were co-signers that is why 2 1099C's were issued.

The 1099C only has to have the total amount reported once. So if it lists, for example, $100K forgiven, as long as the $100K shows up on one of the two returns.  Your father could get a letter from the IRS two years from now, and he will need to show that you reported 100% of the 1099C.  He would provide this information only if it is requested. 

The tax law on forgiveness of debt on a home to be excluded from income was extended with the Feb 2018 budget bill that just passed, so it is possible that when you account for the 1099C it may not be taxable to you either.

Please click on the link below for more detail on this.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/how-to-avoid-taxes-on-canceled-mortgage-debt/L8j...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies