turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my child's private school tuition?

My son goes to a private school. Can I claim his tuition?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon, Dominstetc1! 

Thank you for joining us!

Generally, you cannot claim your son's private school tuition as a tax deduction on your federal income tax return. A few states do allow deductions for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses. 

As of May 2023, the following states offer tax benefits for parents who pay private school tuition for their children: Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, South Carolina and Wisconsin.

Private school tuition is typically not tax deductible under federal tax law, except in cases where the child has special needs and requires access to special needs private education. If a physician's referral is provided to support this, the expenses may qualify as deductible medical expenses.

Please keep in mind, If your child attends a daycare program before or after school, whether at a public or private school, you may qualify for a child care cedit, if qualified.

Also worth noting,  you could potentially  avoid paying taxes on the earnings from a Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) or make tax-free withdrawals from a Qualified Tuition Plan (529 Plan) by using  the funds to cover qualified K through 12th grade education expenses.

Please see the following for more information:

Please feel free to reach backout with any additional questions or concerns you might have!

Have a great rest of your day!

Terri Lynn, EA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer.”

View solution in original post

2 Replies
evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

Federal tax law doesn’t allow you to deduct private school tuition.

If your child is attending a private school for special needs, you may be able to get a tax break on your K-12 private school tuition. To qualify, you’ll need a physician’s referral proving that your child requires access to specialized private education. And, if your child qualifies, you may also be able to deduct the cost of special tutoring or training in addition to tuition.   See link below for further details:

Sending kids to private school 

Have an amazing day. Evelyn M (CPA 20+ years)
I would love a thumbs up 🙂 + Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon, Dominstetc1! 

Thank you for joining us!

Generally, you cannot claim your son's private school tuition as a tax deduction on your federal income tax return. A few states do allow deductions for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses. 

As of May 2023, the following states offer tax benefits for parents who pay private school tuition for their children: Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Ohio, South Carolina and Wisconsin.

Private school tuition is typically not tax deductible under federal tax law, except in cases where the child has special needs and requires access to special needs private education. If a physician's referral is provided to support this, the expenses may qualify as deductible medical expenses.

Please keep in mind, If your child attends a daycare program before or after school, whether at a public or private school, you may qualify for a child care cedit, if qualified.

Also worth noting,  you could potentially  avoid paying taxes on the earnings from a Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) or make tax-free withdrawals from a Qualified Tuition Plan (529 Plan) by using  the funds to cover qualified K through 12th grade education expenses.

Please see the following for more information:

Please feel free to reach backout with any additional questions or concerns you might have!

Have a great rest of your day!

Terri Lynn, EA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer.”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies