Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim mileage rate for one vehicle and then section 179 deduction for a second vehicle that same year?

I have used my personal vehicle first half of this year for work travel. Now I want to transition to keep my personal car for personal use and purchase another vehicle this year for 100% business use. Can I claim standard mileage rate for the personal vehicle use for first half of the year and also the standard 179 deduction for the new vehicle for second half in the same year?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I claim mileage rate for one vehicle and then section 179 deduction for a second vehicle that same year?

are you an employe getting a w-2 or self-employed?

as an employee none of your vehicle expenses are deductible for federal purposes but some states may allow a deduction.

as self-employed - schedule C

yes you can use different method for the two vehicles with one caveat

if you used actual expenses for the first vehicle you cannot switch it to the standard milage method. 

There are other complications if used in a business such as a partnership, S or C-corp where you own the vehicle rather than the business. 

I'm self-employed. I just started this year with using my personal vehicle, but now need to purchase another vehicle which will be solely for business travel.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies