Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsongster

Can I claim household expenses (mortgage, utilities, etc...) since we had a nanny at our house. We are paying a nanny tax as well.

We also claimed the amount we paid to the nanny for the child care credit.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

Can I claim household expenses (mortgage, utilities, etc...) since we had a nanny at our house. We are paying a nanny tax as well.

You can deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes as an itemized deduction regardless of whether there is a nanny living in your home.

If the nanny is required to pay fair market value rent for the room she lives in, you could deduct a proportionate amount of your household expenses as a rental expense (by the percentage of the home she occupies). The mortgage interest and real estate taxes deducted as an itemized deduction would need to be reduced by whatever amount is deducted as a rental expense.

Otherwise, household expenses besides mortgage interest and real estate taxes are not deductible.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

You can deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes as an itemized deduction regardless of whether there is a nanny living in your home.

If the nanny is required to pay fair market value rent for the room she lives in, you could deduct a proportionate amount of your household expenses as a rental expense (by the percentage of the home she occupies). The mortgage interest and real estate taxes deducted as an itemized deduction would need to be reduced by whatever amount is deducted as a rental expense.

Otherwise, household expenses besides mortgage interest and real estate taxes are not deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies