Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim child tax credit with kid ITIN? i read somewhere that SSN is mandatory for child to apply for child tax credit.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i claim child tax credit with kid ITIN? i read somewhere that SSN is mandatory for child to apply for child tax credit.

Social security number (SSN) required for child tax credit. Your child must have an SSN issued before the due date of your 2018 return (including extensions) to be claimed as a qualifying child for the child tax credit or additional child tax credit. If your dependent child has an ITIN, but not an SSN, issued before the due date of your 2018 return (including extensions), you may be able to claim the new credit for other dependents for that child.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/steps-to-take-now-to-get-a-jump-on-next-years-taxes

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Social security number (SSN) required for child tax credit. Your child must have an SSN issued before the due date of your 2018 return (including extensions) to be claimed as a qualifying child for the child tax credit or additional child tax credit. If your dependent child has an ITIN, but not an SSN, issued before the due date of your 2018 return (including extensions), you may be able to claim the new credit for other dependents for that child.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/steps-to-take-now-to-get-a-jump-on-next-years-taxes

In other words, on your 2018 tax return you can claim up to $500 of the Child Tax Credit with an ITIN, but you can not claim the full $2000 credit.
nspjr

I end up sending my tax return with my daugther ITIN, but we are residents already. Can I issue the San and amend my tax return?

No you cannot amend later if she gets a SS# ... that is no longer allowed.

An ITIN  is not valid however for filing an EIC claim.

RS website not yet updated. There is change in law. From 2018, kid should have SSN to file for child tax credit. Refer h&r block website. I even contacted tax consultant.he also confirmed.

You are correct. I should have specified that my answer was for 2017.

To file a tax return, taxpayers enter their ITIN in the space for the SSN on the tax return. An ITIN can also be used to claim the Child Tax Credit (CTC). To claim the CTC, a taxpayer and qualifying child must have either an SSN or an ITINand will enter it on Schedule 8812 “Additional Child Tax Credit.”

HOWEVER ... you must have the number BEFORE you file a return ... you cannot use it on an amended return.

RS website not yet updated. There is change in law. From 2018, kid should have SSN to file for child tax credit. Refer h&r block website. I even contacted tax consultant.he also confirmed.

Since people are still filing 2017 returns most of us will answer with 2017 rules since you didn't specify 2018.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies