Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i apply for Form 1098 Morgage interest statement if i am non-resident alien working in US.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Can i apply for Form 1098 Morgage interest statement if i am non-resident alien working in US.

Home mortgage interest is not deductible by a nonresident.  

Nonresident aliens can deduct certain itemized deductions if they receive income effectively connected with their U.S. trade or business. These deductions include:

• State and local income taxes,
  • Charitable contributions to U.S. non-profit organizations,
  • Casualty and theft losses, from a federally declared disaster, and
  • Other itemized deductions.

For more information: IRS Nonresident Alien -- Figuring Your Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@86fa0ab9ab75 , agreeing generally with my colleague @TomK2023  about the deductions allowed  for filers of form 1040-NR, I am  still not sure  of your status -- you say you are Non-Resident alien and you work in the USA.  When did you come into USA and on which visa?  Why can you not wait till you meet the  Resident for Tax purposes before you file ?  Please tell more  such as  (a) when did you enter the USA and which visa?; (b) are you single or married and if married  , then to another NRA or a Resident of US?;  (c) which country are you from ( resident just prior  or citizen of )?;  (d)  Who do you work for  -- an US entity or self-employed ?;  (e) are you saying you own a US property and are paying mortgage interest  or what do you mean ?;  (f) any other pertinent info that will clearly define your  situation .

I will circle back once I hear from you 

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies