Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

loltaxes

Can I accept donations using a personal Venmo or Cashapp account?

I go live on TikTok and Twitch, I’d like to accept donations from my fans. Nearly everyone I follow on TikTok has their Venmo and Cashapp in their bio to accept donations.. however, they’re using a personal account. I saw a new law saying that goods and services over $600 using Venmo, Cashapp, PayPal, etc will cause you to receive a tax form. These streamers make over $600 from donations (I know so because they say thank you for the amount they received from these platforms) So how are social media influencers using personal accounts for donations and not getting flagged or chased by the IRS.

And if I were to use a business account for donations, other than the fee.. would there be any repercussions?

(edit: I’m an artist so I draw while on live and people watch)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Can I accept donations using a personal Venmo or Cashapp account?

Yes, you can accept "donations" through Venmo, PayPal, and Cash App. 

Whether or not you use a business account, your payment processor will issue a 1099-K if the total is more than $600. 

You and everyone else who makes income this way is responsible for filing a tax return and accounting for these donations. They are self-employment income and need to be reported as such. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies