Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

koolkat
Returning Member

Can gains from a rental property sale offset rental losses from another property?

I have 2 rental properties. I'm planning to sell one property this year and convert the other one into my primary residence. 

Property 1 (selling in May) will have rental losses of $5000 for the year and positive sales proceeds of $400,000. Property 2 (converting into my primary residence in August) will have rental losses of $10,000 for the year. 

Can I offset the rental losses for both properties using the sales proceeds from Property 1?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can gains from a rental property sale offset rental losses from another property?

@koolkat wrote:

Can I offset the rental losses for both properties using the sales proceeds from Property 1?

Converting this property from rental use to personal use is not a sale to an "unrelated third in a fully taxable transaction", which is necessary for suspended passive losses to be released.

koolkat
Returning Member

@tagteam What happens to the suspended passive losses for this property if I live in it as a primary residence for 2 years and then sell it (without converting it back into a rental)?

You would have unrecaptured Section 1250 gain (aka depreciation "recapture" - assuming you sold at a gain) and your suspended passive losses would be released.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies