turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

koolkat
Returning Member

Can gains from a rental property sale offset rental losses from another property?

I have 2 rental properties. I'm planning to sell one property this year and convert the other one into my primary residence. 

Property 1 (selling in May) will have rental losses of $5000 for the year and positive sales proceeds of $400,000. Property 2 (converting into my primary residence in August) will have rental losses of $10,000 for the year. 

Can I offset the rental losses for both properties using the sales proceeds from Property 1?

3 Replies

Can gains from a rental property sale offset rental losses from another property?

@koolkat wrote:

Can I offset the rental losses for both properties using the sales proceeds from Property 1?

Converting this property from rental use to personal use is not a sale to an "unrelated third in a fully taxable transaction", which is necessary for suspended passive losses to be released.

koolkat
Returning Member

@tagteam What happens to the suspended passive losses for this property if I live in it as a primary residence for 2 years and then sell it (without converting it back into a rental)?

You would have unrecaptured Section 1250 gain (aka depreciation "recapture" - assuming you sold at a gain) and your suspended passive losses would be released.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies