Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California State Tax Return Error-Depreciation allowed or allowable is too large. Depreciation cannot exceed business basis**

I keep getting this error when trying to complete my California State Tax Return through Turbotax. My federal return check comes back fine with no errors. 

When I run my state check it says: Depreciation allowed or allowable is too large. Depreciation allowed or allowable is 1420.00.

I am not sure where they are coming up with this number.

Here is what I have entered into my federal return.

Bought my car for business use in 2021 for 75,703. My 2022-2023 business use percent is 41.17%. I sold this car 09/2023 for 42,000.00. The previous year I used the standard mileage deduction. This year I am using actual expenses. My business portion "sale price" is: 17,287.00.  When I get to the section that asks for the the basis for gain/loss I left it blank because it says " if you got this vehicle by trading in listed property, that you used less than 100% of the time for business, enter your gain or loss basis. If this doesn't apply to you leave these fields blank. I bought this car new.

I left them blank because I did not trade in the car. I sold it. It states my loss on the disposition is 9845.00.

I can then click through the rest of my return and it doesn't give me any errors.

Then when I run my State Return check it gives me the above named error. When I go to the California Car and Truck worksheet it has the figures in there for my depreciable basis is 31,167, and my AMT depreciable basis is 31,167.00. 

I have called Turbotax for the "expert help" and 3 different reps and a so called CPA couldn't help me and tell me what I was doing wrong or entering in the wrong place. 

Any help is much appreciated!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pinkglue77
Returning Member

California State Tax Return Error-Depreciation allowed or allowable is too large. Depreciation cannot exceed business basis**

i am also having this issue, CA state return only. did you get it resolved? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies