Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null744

Calculating workplace miles causes an alert. I only claim roundtrip there/ back. Total Commuting (roundtrip) miles cannot be the same as Miles Driven for this job?

In red I'm seeing "Business miles plus Commuting miles should not exceed total miles". Even when I the reduce total miles to not exceed, it will not let me proceed.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Calculating workplace miles causes an alert. I only claim roundtrip there/ back. Total Commuting (roundtrip) miles cannot be the same as Miles Driven for this job?

No, commuting miles are not the same as business miles and commuting miles aren't deductible. 

Commuting is defined as driving to the same work location and back home each day. That isn't deductible for employees, self-employed people or contractors. 

If you are a contractor, or otherwise self-employed, your business miles are the miles you drive to other work related locations. 

For example, Jim is a realtor. He drives 10 miles from his home to his office. Later he drives 14 miles to an open house, then meets a new client at their home 10 miles away. Finally he drives 5 miles back to the office and then 10 miles to his home. 

Total miles are 49, 20 miles are commuting and 29 miles are business miles. Follow this link to learn more about business miles.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies