Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA IHSS live in provider - How to file

Hello, 

I am an IHSS provider in CA who lives with the recipient which makes my income non-taxable. However I have an amount in Box 1 of my W2 which is the same as in Box 16 . Do I need to pay tax on those wages or I report  that amount as a negative number under Notice 2014-7 using the other income category on the 1040? 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Your In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) income can be exempt from a Medicaid waiver for providing care to a person that you live with. You may receive a W-2 with 0 in box 1 or you may have an amount in box 1. 

Follow the steps below:

1. Open TurboTax
  2. Select Federal Taxes
  3. Select Wages & Income
  4. Select Work on W-2
  5. Enter your W-2, at the Let's check for uncommon situations; check the box next to Medicaid waiver payments
  6. If you have an amount in box 1, enter that amount.  If box 1 is 0, enter the amount that's in box 3 or 5.

To determine if you want to include this income in for your Earned Income Tax Credit, when you get to that Section, you can elect to add the income or exclude it.  Try both ways to determine which way gives you the greater EIC.

For more information, refer to the CA FTB website In-Home Supportive Services and the IRS website Certain Medicaid Waiver Payments May Be Excludable From Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much @SharonD007 for answering my question. I appreciate your support! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies