Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business Mileage of Disposed of Business

I had a business that I disposed of in 2022. In prior years I had business mileage associated with it. I had no business mileage in 2022. TT gives me an error on review that "the sum of business mileage before 7/1/22 and business mileage after 8/30/22 must be greater than zero."

What does it want? I have no business mileage.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Business Mileage of Disposed of Business

You may have entered a value for total miles or commuting miles that needs to be 0  (since vehicle miles are not deductible personally).  Once you have zeroed out the miles completely, with a zero in each of the boxes Total miles driven for all purposes:, Miles driven from 1/1/2022 to 6/30/2022:, and Miles driven from 7/1/2022 to 12/31/2022 and leave the Commuting miles box empty, you will be able to proceed with reviewing and filing your return.

To get to the screen and enter this in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your return use the magnifying glass to search schedule c and click the Jump to link
  2. Click Review or Edit for the line of business with the miles you need to change
  3. Click Edit next to Vehicle under Expenses
  4. Click Edit on the Vehicle Summary screen
  5. Continue until you get to the How do you want to enter your mileage screen
  6. Enter 0 for all 3 boxes and Continue
  7. Continue and answer questions for the vehicle until you get back to the Here's your XXX info screen
  8. Proceed entering/reviewing your return

To get to the screen to enter this in TurboTax Home & Business you can follow these steps:

1. Within your tax return click on the  Business tab and Business Income and Expenses under that
  2. Select I'll choose what I work on
  3. Click Update for Profit or Loss from Business
  4. Click Edit on the line of work you want to update
  5. Scroll down to Business Vehicle Expense and click Update
  6. Click Edit for the vehicle you need to change
  7. Click Continue through the vehicle details until you get to the How do you want to enter your mileage for your XXX screen
  8. Enter 0 for Total miles driven for all purposes:, Miles driven from 1/1/2022 to 6/30/2022:, and Miles driven from 7/1/2022 to 12/31/2022 boxes
  9. Continue and answer questions for the vehicle until you get back to the Vehicle Summary screen
  10. Click Done and proceed entering/reviewing your return
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies