Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business deduction

I have a lawnmowing service, sole propiertorship.  I bought a truck for the business.  It was purchased in my name and is insured under my business insurance.  My employee uses it 9 months of the year.  During the winter I use it.  I have a d/b/a company.  Can I deduct the principal I pay annually for the truck as well as the interest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Business deduction

No, you cannot deduct the principal you pay for the truck.  The truck is an asset of your company. 

You are correct to deduct the interest you pay on the loan on the truck. 

You should depreciate the truck as a depreciable asset of the business.  The ordinary depreciable life of a truck in a business is 5 years. 

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 allows Special Depreciation of 100% of the asset value in the first year if you so choose. 

TurboTax will guide you to choose how you wish to depreciate your truck this year.  

Deducting Depreciation on My Truck and Other Assets

Business deduction

Depreciation is essentially an allowance for "wear and tear."  The wear and tear on your truck is a business expense that you can deduct.  However, when you sell the truck, you may have a taxable event if you sell it for more than the depreciated value.  For example, if the truck has a life of 5 years, and you sell it for $2000, 6 year from now, that $2000 is taxable income, even though it would not be if you sold a used personal vehicle.  You deducted all the original value, now if you get more value by selling it, that becomes taxable.

Also, in the winter do you use it for work or personal use?  That affects things.  @JeffreyR77 can you return and address this issue?  I know what to do if you use a personal vehicle in business, but not if you use a business vehicle personally.  Maybe they are the same if this is an unincorporated sole proprietorship. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies