Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 12 with code W is added to my total income after I uploaded W2. Code W is HSA contribution amount. Why is this added to my total income?

I clicked "Explain my taxes and what I see in my total income is W-2 wages:$xx (from box1) and 
1099-SA HSA and MSA distributions:$xx (from box 12). . Also this box 12 HSA amount is less than 2023 maximum but Turbotax says I over contributed and need to withdraw all of them. Can anyone please explain? Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Box 12 with code W is added to my total income after I uploaded W2. Code W is HSA contribution amount. Why is this added to my total income?

Contributions to your HSA are considered by the IRS to be taxable until you demonstrate that you are covered by the appropriate High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP), which you do in the HSA interview.

From what you said, it seems like you did not go through the HSA interview to report on your HDHP coverage. Did you? Go to Medical->HSA (or something like that) to get to the HSA interview. Go through it to the end.

Once you show HDHP coverage, the code W amount will be removed from your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Contributions to your HSA are considered by the IRS to be taxable until you demonstrate that you are covered by the appropriate High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP), which you do in the HSA interview.

From what you said, it seems like you did not go through the HSA interview to report on your HDHP coverage. Did you? Go to Medical->HSA (or something like that) to get to the HSA interview. Go through it to the end.

Once you show HDHP coverage, the code W amount will be removed from your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies