Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

M_Hug

Bonus check, can I pay 0 taxes now, invest, then pay taxes at the end of the year?

I get a yearly bonus each March and I'm wondering if (and how) I can pay zero taxes now, invest the $ that I would have paid taxes now, and then pay taxes in 1 year? Example: I should get a $1 bonus now, normally I would get taxed 25 cents...but instead I don't pay those taxes now (tax exempt for 1 paycheck?). I invest that 25 cents and I make 1 penny. Next year I also do tax exempt and I get the full $1 (25 cents of which I'll pay 2023 taxes) all while my original 2023 25 cents continues to invest...making another penny. After 20 years I made 20 pennies but I know I'll have to pay that original 25 cent investment back to the fed for taxes come year 21.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Bonus check, can I pay 0 taxes now, invest, then pay taxes at the end of the year?

No. You cannot defer your bonus and pay taxes on it later.

The IRS says that you have to report all income in the year you receive the income and pay taxes on it in that year's tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The income tax system is pay as you go. You are supposed to pay taxes in roughly equal installments, either through paycheck withholding, or through quarterly estimated payments, which are due in April, June, September, and January for the previous year.  If you fail to pay taxes on a lump sum of income when it is earned, you will likely may owe an underpayment penalty, even if you pay in full  when you file your taxes by April 15 of the following year.

The underpayment penalty is approximately 1% per month so it may exceed any investment gains you expect to get.  (Actually 0.5% per month as a penalty, plus interest at a variable rate which is current around 6% APR, so 1% per month is a close estimate.)

However, the default formula for calculating penalties assumes that taxes and income are spread out equally through the year. If you receive a $1000 lump sum bonus in March, for which you expect the taxes would be $250, you can probably avoid the penalty if you paid $62 on April 15, $63 on June 15, $62 on September 15, and the remaining $63 on January 15, 2024, (instead of paying all $250 on April 15.)   

M_Hug

So even though I intend to pay taxes on my March 2023 bonus but not until April 2024, because it'll be over $1,000 then my fees + interest will be higher than my investment returns. Was hoping to "have my money work for me" vs paying my taxes right away and not April 2024. And I intended to pay that original withholdings (~$250 from your example) back in April 2024, I know I can't avoid that 🙂

@M_Hug wrote:

So even though I intend to pay taxes on my March 2023 bonus but not until April 2024, because it'll be over $1,000 then my fees + interest will be higher than my investment returns. Was hoping to "have my money work for me" vs paying my taxes right away and not April 2024. And I intended to pay that original withholdings (~$250 from your example) back in April 2024, I know I can't avoid that 🙂

It depends on your investment gains, of course, if you can make 20%, that's a profit even after paying 12% interest and penalties.  But I don't think there are many (safe) investments that would pay that much.

You can spread out your payments as I described.  If you invested the 25% of your bonus that you need to set aside, you need to pull 1/4 out for each quarterly payment, but the rest could remain invested, if it was liquid enough.  

your employer is required to withhold on salary payments based on the W-4. underwithholding  can 'result in underpayment of tax penalties

There will be no federal penalties for not paying in enough taxes during the year if withholding and
a) timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 90% of your 2023 tax or
b) timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 100% of your 2022 tax (110% if your 2021 adjusted gross income was more than $150K) or
c) the balance due after subtracting taxes withheld from 90% of your 2023 tax is less than $1,000 or
d) your total taxes are less than $1,000

state laws differ

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies