Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Best way to manually change PTC eligibility?

I'm eligible for PTC (income, etc.), EXCEPT that access to my employer's Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA account) for retirees was NOT properly opted out of, and I received a 1095-C showing full year Employer Offer and Coverage even though I didn't use the HRA at all.

So I'm apparently not eligible for 2019 PTC, and must somehow repay advance premium payments made.  I could wait for IRS to flag this 1095-C conflict & request repayment, but that may involve penalties, etc.  What's the best way to deal with this?

* Change to Married Filing Separately.  This appears to trigger PTC ineligibility in my return, but may cost me in other ways

* Edit Form 8962 in TTAX somehow to change PTC eligibility.  Unfortunately TTAX doesn't allow override of anything (e.g., change line 6 to Yes

Is there any other way to change PTC eligibility with TTAX that doesn't require changing to Married Filing Separately?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Enter the 1095-A, but for column B, enter zero.  That is the proper way to indicate you do not qualify.

However, it is POSSIBLE that TurboTax may have throw you some errors in regards to that (it doesn't like zeros on that form).  If it does, you might need to file by mail.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Enter the 1095-A, but for column B, enter zero.  That is the proper way to indicate you do not qualify.

However, it is POSSIBLE that TurboTax may have throw you some errors in regards to that (it doesn't like zeros on that form).  If it does, you might need to file by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies