corinnemarcotjon

Being home owner doesn't reduce my fed taxes since interests and property taxes are not deductible... so can I just ignore the fact that I owe a home and file for free?

Vanessa

They are still deductible, but only if they are more than $12,000 combined with all of your other itemized expenses.  This year, the standard deduction increased drastically to $12,000 for single, $24,000 for married filing jointly.

But, yes, if they do not total more than your standard deduction, you can ignore the fact that you own a home and file for free. 

Vanessa