ajtomato37

As regards STATE filing: do I need to report LOSS on the sale of investment property in that state or file a return at all?

I would otherwise NOT need to file a return in that state. I sold an inherited property (land only) at a loss in a nonresident state. I deducted the loss on my federal return. Do I need to file with the state the property was in? Do I mention it at all in my home state return? I assume TT will transfer the info from federal into my home state return, right?

MaryK1

It depends on the state- please add the state and I can look up the filing requirement for you.

MaryK1

ajtomato37

I reside in NY, the property I sold was in Maine.