Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mimiyoshi
Returning Member

As head of household and custodial parent — shouldn’t i be able to file form 2441 for child care expenses?

Hello - my ex and alternate claiming my daughter.  This year it is his turn to claim her.  I am head of household and custodial parent.  I know he gets the child credit this year as he is claiming her.  however for day care child care expenses — i thought i was able to write these off (form 2441) as custodial parent.

My ex submitted form 2441 through his accountant and he said whoever claims Harper gets to write off the expenses - but that is not what I understand when I look up the topic.  He filed so now when i try to submit - my taxes get rejected (i know only one person can file). Now i have to remove that form which makes an impact on my return.

my question is — shouldn’t i get to use form 2441 as head of household and custodial parent.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

As head of household and custodial parent — shouldn’t i be able to file form 2441 for child care expenses?

yes you should. where you release the exemption to the noncustodial parent the custodial parent is still the one that gets to claim the child and dependent care credit, just an FYI.    if he's already filed, all you can do is file by mail. follow Turbotax filing instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies