Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wcmcd0591

As a temporary employee I travel more than 100 miles from home received no per diem Was my travel and hotel expenses deductible

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As a temporary employee I travel more than 100 miles from home received no per diem Was my travel and hotel expenses deductible

Mileage that you drive for a job as an employee is a job-related expense.

Up to tax year 2017, job-related expenses were deductible as an itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI floor.

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the itemized deductions for job-related expenses subject to the 2% of AGI floor are suspended for expenses incurred after December 31, 2017 through 2025.

Therefore, your mileage as an employee and other job-related expenses are no longer deductible for tax year 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. As a temporary employee I travel more than 100 miles from home received no per diem Was my travel and hotel expenses deductible?

A. Simple answer: No, as explained at the other reply.

But, it somewhat depends on what "temporary employee" means. If you will be receiving a W-2 for this work, then you are a regular employee, even though the job is temporary, and your commuting expenses are not deductible. 

But, if you are being treated as an independent contractor, and will be receiving a 1099-NEC, then the expenses are (probably) deductible as business expenses.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies