galehouse5

As a remote worker (working from Cleveland, OH), do I have to pay income tax for the city my employer's office is located in (Columbus, OH)?

MichaelL1

EDITED: 3-29-2018 10:37 AM

You are not required to pay city taxes in Columbus where you reside due to working entirely outside of the city (in Cleveland).  You do however pay taxes in the city you work.  

See additional comments below for more details. 

galehouse5

(RECOMMENDED ANSWER IS INCORRECT, read comments beneath it for the correct answer.)
MichaelL1

I will edit the answer thank you for your patience
MichaelL1

EDITED: 3-29-2018 10:37 AM

galehouse5

Thanks for answering, TurboTaxMichaelL1. Your answer seems to conflict with the answer to this question: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4175783">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4175783</a>. Now I'm confused, would you mind clarifying?
MichaelL1

See this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://ccatax.ci.cleveland.oh.us/taxforms/Y2018/muniit.pdf">http://ccatax.ci.cleveland.oh.us/taxform... 3 #3 is your situation.
Hal_Al

It appears TurboTaxMichaelL1is assuming your employer is withholding Cleveland city tax.
Your employer is not required to withhold Columbus tax. The problem is they don't know better and when they ask the Columbus city tax people, they get wishy washy answers.
If you employer withheld Columbus tax, you'll have to contact the Columbus city tax people for a special form to get a refund.
galehouse5

Thanks for your effort, TurboTaxMichaelL1. I'm still a little confused. The question I'm asking is do I need to pay Columbus city income tax. It seems like you're answering the question, do I need to pay Cleveland city income tax. Can you clarify whether I need to pay Columbus city income tax? I don't physically work in Columbus, I work remotely in Cleveland, my city of residence. My company just happens to have an office in Columbus.
MichaelL1

Sorry, thank you for clarifying that for me as I misread the question.  Hal_Al is correct above as you do not pay Columbus City taxes due to your working outside the city.
Hal_Al

No. You do not need to pay Columbus City tax. If you employer is not withholding for Columbus, you do not need to file a Columbus return. If you employer is withholding for Columbus, you need to ask your employer why. Then contact the city for how to file for a refund