Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filo89

As a dialysis patient, what are all of the things I can deduct? cost of treatment, nephrologist consult monthly, prescriptions, supplies, fuel to and from etc

Hemodialysis in clinic, only see clinic nephrologist once a month, but pay a good amount each time I do see him. I've had to replace my chest catheter 3 times, need to purchase medical supplies monthly such as shower shields to protect catheter, disinfectant to clean it, bandages to wear every day so that it isn't exposed. I also take various meds for high blood pressure, a diuretic, an anxiety pill, etc in addition to paying for each treatment
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

As a dialysis patient, what are all of the things I can deduct? cost of treatment, nephrologist consult monthly, prescriptions, supplies, fuel to and from etc

Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and for the purpose of affecting any part or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, prescription drugs and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes. Also included is needed travel costs. They include the costs of insurance and deductibles paid by the taxpayer that pays for medical expenses. To be a part of itemized deductions the out of pocket medical expenses must be more than 7.5% of adjusted gross income.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Please see this helpful TurboTax article for additional information: The Ultimate Medical Expense Deductions Checklist

IRS Pub. 502 - Medical and Dental Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies