Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are uber rides to job interviews deductable? I see that mileage is but I do not drive, however, need to use Ubers to get to interviews.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Are uber rides to job interviews deductable? I see that mileage is but I do not drive, however, need to use Ubers to get to interviews.

I don't think so.  The problem is the difference between "travel" and "transportation."  "Travel" is when you travel away from your tax home far enough that you need to stay overnight.  When you travel for work, you can deduct the expenses.  "Transportation" is local transportation in the area of your tax home.  For local transportation, you can't deduct commuting expenses but can sometimes deduct transportation between job sites if you work in more than one location in a day.  See generally the difference between travel and transportation in chapter 1 and 4 of publication 463.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-publication-463

The IRS says that "travel" expenses for job search can be deductible, not as work-related mileage, but as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule.  Travel expenses can include the standard mileage rate if you use your own car but can also include air fare, taxis, or whatever other methods you use.  However the IRS does not say that "transportation" expenses are deductible for job searches, only travel.  I think this is a key difference.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/job-search-expenses-can-be-tax-deductible

(I notice that another tax filing web site also says travel only, while a job search web site includes local transportation in the deduction even though the IRS never uses the word "transportation."  Take that as you will.)

If you want to deduct local transportation, the risk is on you.  Be sure your job search meets all the other qualifying rules listed above, it's not just any job search.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies