Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are there any downsides to adding parent as a dependent for head of household deductions and HSA?

My elderly father lives with me at my residence. He has about $3500 in investment income and social security. I pay for his out-of-pocket medical bills and living expenses. According to the IRS, this seems to meet the requirements for the total support test.

Publication 501 (2020), Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information | Internal Revenue Se...

I would like to consider having him file as my dependent. That will also enable me to use my HSA account for his medical expenses (which are significant, but not greater than 7.5% of my income).

Are there any downsides to adding him as my dependent with me filing as the head of household? Can this be changed in future years?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Are there any downsides to adding parent as a dependent for head of household deductions and HSA?

Yes, he qualifies as your dependent. There is no downside to claiming him, except for him not receiving possible future stimulus amounts. Yes, the can be determined on a yearly basis.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, he qualifies as your dependent. There is no downside to claiming him, except for him not receiving possible future stimulus amounts. Yes, the can be determined on a yearly basis.

Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies