Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HGS2
Level 1

Are the notes I create for line items in TT to explain my deductions included in my efiled return?

I itemized deductions and attached notes to some of my entries.  Years ago the notes would be sent along with the paper return to clarify the deduction.   With Efile do my notes still get conveyed to the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Are the notes I create for line items in TT to explain my deductions included in my efiled return?

No, you can't attach notes to an e-filed tax return unless it is part of the tax form itself.

Whether or not your note would be read by the temporary employee who types your mailed-in tax return, is anyone's guess, but I doubt it. I don't think mailing in your return with notes will help you avoid an audit.

The astronomical increase in medical costs means that your $60,000 deduction, while large isn't that unusual. In fact, of those who itemize, the average medical deduction is $17,000 per person. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, the supporting details are included in your tax records only.   Only the applicable form is transmitted to the IRS with your e-filed tax return.  

HGS2
Level 1

We had a large medical deduction (over 60k) that meets conditions spelled out in an IRS publication but there was no way in Turbotax to describe it as such.   So is there any way to provide supporting information for an entry in an efiled tax return?    Do I have to wait for an audit to be given an opportunity to clarify the deduction?

Is it the case that the IRS can't deal with ad hoc notes and wouldn't read them even if sent with a paper return

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you can't attach notes to an e-filed tax return unless it is part of the tax form itself.

Whether or not your note would be read by the temporary employee who types your mailed-in tax return, is anyone's guess, but I doubt it. I don't think mailing in your return with notes will help you avoid an audit.

The astronomical increase in medical costs means that your $60,000 deduction, while large isn't that unusual. In fact, of those who itemize, the average medical deduction is $17,000 per person. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies