Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OK_N
Level 1

Are Long Term Care Per Diem Reimbursements subtracted from Nursing Care expenses when reporting deductible medical expenses?

My father passed away in 2021 and I am filing his taxes.  He was under qualified nursing home care for 9 months.  The self pay out of pocket costs, after all Medicare covered stay(s), was $21,000 for 2021.  His long term care (LTC) insurance reimbursement was as Per Diem and totaled $14,500 as reported by a form 1099-LTC.  I have put the LTC reimbursement in the miscellaneous income section and the determination is that it is not taxable as income.  

When entering medical expense deductions, do I report the full $21,000 from the out of pocket nursing care or only the $6,500 that was not reimbursed by the LTC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Are Long Term Care Per Diem Reimbursements subtracted from Nursing Care expenses when reporting deductible medical expenses?

Only the unreimbursed expenses of $6,500 can be deducted. See page 11 of Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses. Yes, the reimbursement is not taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Only the unreimbursed expenses of $6,500 can be deducted. See page 11 of Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses. Yes, the reimbursement is not taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies