Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pbbrich

Are all of these moving expenses deductible?

Assuming that I meet the requirements for a work based relocation and that I stated in a temporary housing situation for a few weeks prior to my move to a permanent address, can I deduct the following moving expenses?

1.  Transportation and temporary storage (less than 30 days) of personal belongings from prior address to permanent address?   (personal belongings were held in storage for several weeks while I stayed at temporary housing until I was able to secure permanent housing).

2.  Personal transportation (airline, shuttle service) from prior address to temporary housing.

3.  Transportation expenses of personal belongings from storage to permanent address?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CathiM

Yes, all of the moving expenses you listed above are deductible. The information below is taken from Publication 521 (2017), Moving Expenses

You can deduct the cost of packing, crating, and transporting your household goods and personal effects and those of the members of your household from your former home to your new home. 

You can deduct any costs of connecting or disconnecting utilities required because you are moving your household goods, appliances, or personal effects.

You can deduct the cost of shipping your car and your household pets to your new home.

You can deduct the cost of moving your household goods and personal effects from a place other than your former home. Your deduction is limited to the amount it would have cost to move them from your former home.

You can include the cost of storing and insuring household goods and personal effects within any period of 30 consecutive days after the day your things are moved from your former home and before they are delivered to your new home.

Travel expenses.

You can deduct the cost of transportation and lodging for yourself and members of your household while traveling from your former home to your new home. This includes expenses for the day you arrive.

The day of arrival is the day you secure lodging at the new place of residence, even if the lodging is on a temporary basis.

You can include any lodging expenses you had in the area of your former home within 1 day after you could no longer live in your former home because your furniture had been moved.

The members of your household don't have to travel together or at the same time. However, you can only deduct expenses for one trip per person. 

pbbrich

I used a portable container for the moving and storing of my items.  The storage fees were billed and paid as one time monthly cost but the actual time of storage from arrival day to when the contents were emptied for transportation to my new home was less than a month.  Do I prorate this expense for this specific period or the full monthly paid amount?
CathiM

You can use the full monthly cost since you had to pay for a full month whether you used it or not.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies