Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jb_atl

Another 936 question

Purchased home 05/2016, mortgage of 585,000.

Did cash-out refi in 11/2021 for 822,375.

All cash proceeds of 222,768 were used to improve property (pool, basement remodel, new screen porch, etc.).

Would I be able to use 1M cap, rather than 750K cap, and fully deduct all mortgage interest since all of the cash-out refi was used for the home?

Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

Another 936 question

@jb_atl 

Refinanced home acquisition debt.

@jb_atl Any secured debt you use to refinance home acquisition debt is treated as home acquisition debt. However, the new debt will qualify as home acquisition debt only up to the amount of the balance of the old mortgage principal just before the refinancing. Any additional debt not used to buy, build, or substantially improve a qualified home isn't home acquisition debt.

So in your scenario sadly you are subject to the 750k as the balance prior to refi was under.  Sorry.

mtge int ded.gif

Addtl helpful info:

if part of the refinanced mortgage money was used to finance
improvements to the home and if the taxpayer meets certain other requirements, the
points associated with the home improvements may be fully deductible in the year the
points were paid. Also, if a homeowner is refinancing a mortgage for a second time,
the balance of points paid for the first refinanced mortgage may be fully deductible at
pay off.
Other closing costs – such as appraisal fees and other non-interest fees –
generally are not deductible. Additionally, the amount of Adjusted Gross Income can
affect the amount of deductions that can be taken. 

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies