Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rh7162

Am I still eligible to make pre-tax deposits into my HSA account? For 2017 I was enrolled in a HSHP and Medicare part A. I meet several HDHP exception dental and vision.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Am I still eligible to make pre-tax deposits into my HSA account? For 2017 I was enrolled in a HSHP and Medicare part A. I meet several HDHP exception dental and vision.

The month in which you enrolled in Medicare, you ceased being eligible to contribute to your HSA, even if you also had an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan).

There are certain minor health coverages that don't eliminate your eligibility to contribute to an HSA, but Medicare is not one of them.

Your HSA contribution limit will be limited by the number of months you were on Medicare. If you were on Medicare all year, then all HSA contributions will be considered excess contributions and you will have to withdraw them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The month in which you enrolled in Medicare, you ceased being eligible to contribute to your HSA, even if you also had an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan).

There are certain minor health coverages that don't eliminate your eligibility to contribute to an HSA, but Medicare is not one of them.

Your HSA contribution limit will be limited by the number of months you were on Medicare. If you were on Medicare all year, then all HSA contributions will be considered excess contributions and you will have to withdraw them.

rh7162

this is not the answer to my question
rh7162

The help menus in TurboTax states that there are exemption like dental and vision that is provided by my HDHP, and still qualifies as HSDP, so can I make contribution to my HAS base on these exceptions?
dmertz
Level 15

Certain dental and vision plans are permitted coverage that does not *disqualify* you from being eligible to contribute to an HSA.  Being covered by Medicare is not permitted insurance and *does* disqualify you.  Having dental or vision insurance does *not* cause you to become qualified when you are otherwise disqualified.  If you are disqualified for any reason, you are disqualified and nothing can change that.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies