Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scamy04
Returning Member

Advance child tax credit payments and 3rd stimulus checks

My husband and I have filed MFJ in the past. We are considering filing MFS this year. He is on SSDI and I have a W2. We have 3 dependents, which 2 were eligible for the advance child tax payments. We received the full amount of payments and 3rd stimulus checks. When entering for the MFS, it ask for the amounts we received. If I split them up based on what our letters say, then it tries to give me the remaining amount that he received. What is the correct way to report both of these since it says to only report the amount you received. I'm not trying to get the extra amount, just wanting to see which filing option is the best for our situation. I am familiar with not being able to get certain credits when you file separate but we don't qualify for any of those anyway so that is not an issue. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Advance child tax credit payments and 3rd stimulus checks

If you are claiming all three dependents, the amount of the 3rd stimulus payment received should be $1400 times 4, a total of $5600, which should be the amount you are entitled to and it should be the amount that you actually received, regardless of what the IRS Letter 6475 says.

Regarding the advance Child Tax Credit, if the two dependents qualify you for the $3000 each, and you have received half of it, you should enter $3,000 on your return, regardless of the amount reported to you on the IRS Letter 6419 (likely $1500 on your Letter 6419 ad $1500 on your husband's Letter 6419). 

This way, your refund/tax liability should not be overstated/unstated or understated/understated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies