Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sruss8989
Returning Member

Additional Child tax credit

I received both the first and second stimulus checks for the incorrect amount. 3 qualifying dependents and received for myself and 1 dependent both times. I went back over my taxes after the first check and found no errors but nothing I could do until time to file again. Then it happened the second time. I then looked at my 2018 documents filed by a H&R Block accountant and my 2020 documents that I filed with tax software, (not Turbo Tax. Lowest amount I’ve ever received was the first and last time I filed with Turbo Tax), and compared them to 2019 filed with Turbo Tax and I finally understood. 2 of my dependents did not qualify AT ALL with Turbo when they were supposed to. No changes in income and dependents were 11 and 7 in 2019. No additional taxes owed to offset the CTC and no mistakes with an accountant to confirm this. I went down each line on all 3 years and everything was the same except the CTC amount on Schedule 8812, Form 1040, Part III, line 15. 2018 - $2800

2019 (Turbo) - $1400

2020 - $2794.
That is why the stimulus checks were the wrong amount. $1400 and an 8 month wait for the shortage of $2200 on the stimulus checks is what the mistake of filing with Turbo Tax has cost me. I read other peoples questions on here with the same concern about the CTC and why their dependents weren’t counted and seen a generic, seemingly automated response as to why on numerous inquiries. Do some comparisons and do some asking because the numbers don’t lie. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Additional Child tax credit

We do not have access to the three years of tax returns to see what would explain the differences that you outline.  This TurboTax Help explains that the credit can be issued in through the Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit

A dependent must meet the requirements of a qualifying child for the taxpayer to receive the Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit.

Were you able to request a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you filed?

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have to correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.  You can also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies