Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Add HSA contributions after ineligible because I am collecting SSA and retired.

I have had an HSA for a number of years, and it's been super convenient to have funds available to pay prescription costs, medical bills etc. I am now retired and on Medicare so no longer eligible to make tax deductible contributions to the HSA. The account will be exhausted soon so I would like to continue to contribute monthly to use it as a savings account for medical expenses. I know these wouldn't be tax deductible but can I put funds in if I don't deduct them on my taxes? I have two hospital bill accounts I'm paying off monthly on a no interest payment plan and would like to keep those as is using my card.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No, you can’t contribute to your HSA since you are on Medicare. 

dmertz
Level 15

You are not permitted to contribute to your HSA for any month that you were covered by Medicare.  If you were covered by Medicare on January 1, 2024 (or earlier), you are not eligible to contribute anything to an HSA for 2024 because you will have been covered by Medicare every month of 2024, nor will you ever again be eligible to contribute.

If you make contributions when you are ineligible, they will not be tax deductible.  And any balance in the account at the end of the year will be subject to a penalty.   Even if you just plan to make a contribution, and immediately remove it to pay a bill, there is no tax benefit because you will not be allowed the tax deduction on your tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies