Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cclaudio
Returning Member

Accrued interest in foreign certificate of deposit

I have 5-year foreign (Brazilian) certificate of deposit that pays interest only at the maturity date (Sept/2026). So, in the meantime, I will have only accrued interest and AFAIK it needs to be reported to the IRS. However, how do I do that in the turbotax desktop?

Questions. Let's assume that in 2023 the CD accrued an interest of USD 1000.

1. Although I don't have a 1099-INT, I went to Income->Interest and added a USD 1000 entry. Do I need to modify this entry by adding an adjustment of USD 1000 and select accrued interest in order to say that it is an accrued interest I earned?
  2. IIUC, I can get a foreign tax credit (FTC) for this accrued interest. However, when I go to Credit & Deductions, turbotax says that it did not detect any FTC in the 1040. Do I need to go back to the USD 1000 entry added and modify it by including a FTC value? Wait, but I did not pay tax for this CD yet, tax will be withhold in Brazil only at maturity date.
  3. In 2026, the bank will pay the total 5-year interest and also withhold tax at the maturity date. However, I think in 2026 I should report to the IRS only the part that relates to 2026 (interest and FTC). Is that right?

Thank you,

Claudio

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies