Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmolines

I was making payments on a semi truck I bought two years ago but I decide this year pay it off, can I deduct this amount in my taxes

The amount of payoff was $17000

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I was making payments on a semi truck I bought two years ago but I decide this year pay it off, can I deduct this amount in my taxes

No ... only the interest paid is a deductible expense on the tax return.  The principle portion of the payment is covered  by depreciating the asset per the IRS prescribed methods ...  a semi truck is depreciated over 3 years ( on 4 tax returns) so if you have not been depreciating it you need to do so now and amend the prior year returns as well. 

According to the ProSeries depreciation listing, tractor = 3YR; trailer = 5YR.

Correct the tractor portion is 3 years and the trailer is 5 years as they are separate assets ... the OP said semi truck so I went with tractor since that is synonymous in trucker lingo.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies