Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

workoutpal
Returning Member

8889-T

Early in 2022, I had a HDHP, and then after losing my job switched to a covered California plan.  In 2022, apparently, I put 108 dollars too much into the HSA before my termination. 

In 2023, it is asking me on Line 1 of 8889-T if the HDHP in 2023 was for myself or family on line 1, but I did not have one in 2023  What am I supposed to do.  I did not have a HDHP in 2023, and I did not really put any money into an HSA.  I do again in 2024 as that is what my new company offers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

8889-T

I take it that on your 2022 return, when TurboTax told you that you made excess contributions in 2022, that you did not withdraw the excess.

The excess, then, carried over to 2023, showing up in line 2(8889).

In 2023, you need to enter the HSA interview. When you are asked, "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2023, answer "No, I did not have coverage."

This will set every month to NONE. 

In the Review, however, it will stop on Line 1 (8889) because it is confused on how you are in the 8889 when you did not have HDHP coverage. Don't worry about it, just enter Self for Line 1 because the calculations are already done so this will not make any difference, and it will get you past the question in the Review.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies