Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

$600 cash charitable contributions (Tax Year 2021)

As far as the federal charitable contributions error caused by the state tax review, I changed the 1040 wks error

( $300 instead of the correct $600) to the correct $600 amount and then did not re-review the forms.  I filed my taxes on both the State and Federal forms on February  25 and  received both of my refunds within one week. 

I do not need any more assistance and hope others can parse all the workarounds that keep being used.  

cannot believe i had to go in and manually enter the $600!  took quite some time to find out there was a bug and if i had not read about the deduction without Itemizing, would not have gotten the credit.  this problem was reported numerous times, shame on you Turbotax for still not fixing it.

vsheffi1037
Returning Member

The $600 deductions show up on my 1040, but not on my state form.  WHY?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

One possible reason is that your state might not follow the IRS on this deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It looks like the original bug/issue reported may be resolved in one of the latest program updates. I'm no longer experiencing the original issue where the $600 gets set to $300 after you run the analyze and do the checks.

Your state might not allow the cash contribution unless you itemize.  For example, that happens to be the case with New York

vsheffi1037
Returning Member

wrong

This is really going to depend on your state and how they handle charitable contributions. For example, MN allows more than the $600, so on my MN state return I did not see the $600, but instead the entire amount of my charitable contributions was reflected on my state return.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you noted which state you are having issues with.

You probably need to go to a tax preparer.  My answer is correct and by the way, the cash contributions also are below the line, if you understand what that entails.

Btw, for 2020's taxes, the cash contributions were above the line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies