Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

40 year depreciation for property placed in service before January 1, 2018

According to https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946:

Residential rental property recovery period can be 40 years if placed in service before 1/1/2018. Mine was placed in service in 1992, and my accountant has always used the 40 year depreciation. I'm using TurboTax for the first time, and it only does 27.5 year depreciation, making my depreciation $0. How can I get it to use the 40 year depreciation instead?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

40 year depreciation for property placed in service before January 1, 2018

To set up this property as a 40-year asset under Assets/Depreciation, choose "Intangibles, Other property," "Other Asset type," and enter the specific property information. Under Asset Class, choose "Residential Rental" asset class (ignore the 27.5), and Alternate Method (ADS) depreciation method. These choices should result in a recovery period equal to 40. Check the "Show Details" box to confirm under the current year estimated depreciation amount.

You have the option to change the recovery period to 30 years under the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act using Form 3115, although you may prefer to retain the original depreciation options for the remaining years. See this article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies