Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BugTwiggy

2021 1098E forms (these are new)

to whom this my reach;

i have seen a number of peoples post regarding the same question that i am about to post. please read this post all the way through before giving the same answer as everyone else has. seems to me you do not know there is a letter that college students are receiving stating "you may be able to deduct student loan interest that you paid in 2021 on your income tax return"  that are either still attending college or have already graduated, both are making student loan payments involving interest. and it looks like the interest i have been seeing is less than $200 so there is no minimum of this one.

With that said, where do we put this information down in our tax forms, it states it is a 2021 1098-E. this came from Navient  where i have my loans through. the 1098-E form in turbo tax is a 2022. how do i file it, and other people wanted to know how to resubmit/correct their taxes on this. 

You all seem very smart and know a lot of this. the letters just started going out last week. they said to look at the irs sight pub970, but it doesn't say how to file it.

Thanks in advance. i really hope someone can help us with this!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

2021 1098E forms (these are new)

I am GUESSING this is a CORRECTED 2021 1098-E if you requested the interest you paid in 2021 be REFUNDED to you because of the "HOLD" that was put on student loan payments and the interest on those student loans. 

If you claimed a Student Loan Interest deduction on your 2021 Tax Year Return, and got that interest REFUNDED, you may need to amend your 2021 Tax Return with the corrected 1098-E. 

How much is the new 1098-E reporting and how much did the original 1098-E report?

Did you pay interest in 2021?

Did you get any refunded? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies