Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JFDeutsch
Returning Member

2020 desktop - Cannot indicate totalization agreement self-employment exemption

Hello,

In 2020 I was self-employed and living overseas for the entire year. The country has a totalization agreement with the united states and I paid all taxes and social contributions in that country and as such I am not required to pay self-employment tax in the United State. I seem to be unable to suppress this in Turbotax. It wants me to either pay the full amount, or if I exclude the net profit, at least tax the deductions.

My prior year return was done at an expensive expat tax agency and they simply excluded schedule schedule 2 and its dependent forms from the return and "Other taxes, including self-employment tax, from Schedule 2, line 1" on the 1040 is reported as blank.

I have tried pulling up the forms and entering 0 or deleting them. They just reappear instantly.   I am going to have to paper file this anyway, so I can just ditch unnecessary forms, but the numbers are forcing their way into every calculation.

How can I finish this return?

---------------------
edit: for reference, here is the information from the IRS:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/self-employment-tax-for-businesses-abroad

Scroll to "International Social Security Agreements"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

2020 desktop - Cannot indicate totalization agreement self-employment exemption

One option is to increase your estimated tax payments by the amount of the self-employment tax you are being required to pay.   The estimated tax payment entry will essentially cancel out your self-employment tax.

It is not clear whether this will cause an e-file reject because your estimated tax payments on your return will not match what the IRS has on file for you.  However, it is does work, you may receive correspondence from the IRS requesting information about your estimated tax payment entries.  That will be your opportunity to explain what you have included in your post.  Moreover, if you are not required to pay self-employment tax given the tax treaty between the U.S. and your foreign jurisdiction, the IRS will not be receiving any more nor anything less than what you are required to pay. 

@JFDeutsch

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies