Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2 Home Offices - Form 2106 Adjustment Wks - Part III - Must equal line 16a

Hello,

I have 2 home office locations for 2023.  One in Florida from Jan 1st 2023 - Oct 5th 2023 in a home I own and another in Wisconsin from October 6th 2023 - December 31st 2023 in a place I rent.  October 6th 2023 - currently I am renting the home in Florida that was my home office earlier in the year.  

Worksheet 1 - Part III

Line 11 I have the total gross amount earned.  Line 12 I have percentage earned of this in Florida Jan - October 5th.  Line 13, 15, 16b is the same number and is the percentage of line 12 multiplied by line 11.    Both numbers on 16b are adding up to the number on Line 11 on each worksheet..  

Worksheet 2 - Part III

Line 11 I have the total gross amount earned.  The same number on worksheet 1.  Line 12 I have percentage earned of this in Wisconsin October 6th - December 31, 2023.  Line 13, 15, 16b is the same number and is the percentage of line 12 multiplied by line 11.    Both numbers on 16b are adding up to the number on Line 11 on each worksheet.  

I keep getting an error that states line 16b from both copies of the Employee Home Office Worksheet, when added together, must equal line 16a.  I see that line 16a is blank, but cannot modify directly on the sheet and am not seeing where else to update this or fix the error. 

Any suggestions? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

2 Home Offices - Form 2106 Adjustment Wks - Part III - Must equal line 16a

Line 16a represents the total employee business expense being claimed on Form 2106 without regard to the home office expense.  This value is calculated and filled in by TurboTax after all employee business expenses have been entered.  If your line 16a is blank, that means that only home office expenses have been included on Form 2106.

After all other employee business expenses have been entered, you will need to go back through each home office section to allocate a portion of that total to each home office.  This is done on the screen titled 'Allocating employee business expenses'.  If you only have home office expenses to claim, then enter '0' for the allocation within each home office section.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies