Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rmartinelli55
Returning Member

1099s

This might take a little time to explain after a not so nice divorce I kept the house. The mortgage when married was under the ex but both of us was on the deed. Moving forward my dad paid off the mortgage 280k then he took out a mortgage (which I pay) of 240k. We are both on the deed but he has the note as a second home. Why would i get a 1099s for proceeds over 28k. I didnt see any money neither did my dad. Please help do i really need to claim 28k more in income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

1099s

You don't need to claim the income but you do need to enter it on your tax return.

A 1099S is issued to show the proceeds from the sale of property.  When you and your father re-financed in order to remove your ex from the mortgage it registered as a sale of your home.  You need to enter it in to your tax return for this year but - since this was your primary residence - you won't owe any taxes on the money that you made from the "sale."

Here's how to enter the sale of your home in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Rmartinelli55
Returning Member

1099s

This was very helpful.  Athough this is my primary residence the mortgage was taken out by my father as a secondary home. To make it more confusing my name is listed but his social.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

1099s

It depends. To clarify, are you talking about name listing on the 1099S or on the mortgage note itself. If on the 1099S, you will still report it as robertb1326 advises in his previous post.

[ Edited 01/25/22|02:13 PM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies