Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 R Code W and Form 5329

I get a 1099R from Lincoln National for payments from a life insurance policy that go to pay for purchasing a qualified long-term care product.  Box 7 is correctly filled in as W.  TurboTax creates Form 5329, indicating that the distribution was an incorrect early distribution, exception number 12 (Distributions incorrectly indicated as early distributions by code 1, J, or S in box 7 of Form 1099-R).  How do I get TurboTax to not create this form, which I do not believe I am required to file.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Code W means Charges/payments for purchasing qualified long-term care insurance contracts under combined arrangements.

This isn't a distribution and you don't need to report this form 1099-R on your tax return.

You can safely delete that form from your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

stevec480

I received the same type of 1099-R which generated an unnecessary form 5329 with an (nonsensical) exception code of '12' on line 2, which doesn't generate any additional tax.

When you look at the note in the upper right corner of the 1099-R it says:

"Report this income on your federal income tax return.  IF this form shows federal income tax withheld in box 4 [THEN] attach this copy to your return."

Since box 4 is empty (NO tax withheld) it isn't necessary to include this 1099-R on the return.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Code W means Charges/payments for purchasing qualified long-term care insurance contracts under combined arrangements.

This isn't a distribution and you don't need to report this form 1099-R on your tax return.

You can safely delete that form from your tax return.

Thank you!  Can you refer me to somewhere in the IRS Tax regulations where if specifically says this?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

This is an extract of this document:

(11)Special rules for certain combination contracts providing long-term care insurance

Notwithstanding paragraphs (2), (5)(C), and (10), in the case of any charge against the cash value of an annuity contract or the cash surrender value of a life insurance contract made as payment for coverage under a qualified long-term care insurance contract which is part of or a rider on such annuity or life insurance contract—

(A) the investment in the contract shall be reduced (but not below zero) by such charge, and

(B) such charge shall not be includible in gross income.

Thank you again!  So, I would read this to say that the amount is not included in gross income, which it was not, even when I had the 1099R in my return, as opposed to not having to report it to the IRS.  Your read on this is that the 199R does not need to be included into the return?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If the form 1099-R as reported would not increase your tax, then the IRS would have no reason to take exception to it not being reported on your tax return. They would only send you a notice if they were aware of income reported to them that was not reported on your tax return and that resulted in an increase to your tax.

Thanks to you both, I really appreciate the help.

stevec480

I received the same type of 1099-R which generated an unnecessary form 5329 with an (nonsensical) exception code of '12' on line 2, which doesn't generate any additional tax.

When you look at the note in the upper right corner of the 1099-R it says:

"Report this income on your federal income tax return.  IF this form shows federal income tax withheld in box 4 [THEN] attach this copy to your return."

Since box 4 is empty (NO tax withheld) it isn't necessary to include this 1099-R on the return.

Thanks.  It's great to have the community support.  Appreciate the assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies