Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

benmazz

1099-Q Non-Dependent Confusion

Hi, I am a non-dependent (filing married jointly) student. Me and my parents' concern is regarding the 529/1099-Q section under deductions & credits. I am the beneficiary of the 529 account, but by default my father is the recipient/account owner, meaning the physical 1099-Q is in his name.

If I select that the recipient is someone else not listed but that I am the beneficiary, and he selects that he is the recipient, but the beneficiary is someone else not listed, what, if any, consequences/redundancies could occur? We need to know whether or not this would cause a problem so that we can have the 1099-Q recipient name altered before due if it would not be acceptable. My father is under the impression that we could not pursue the first option and that the only solutions would be for us to get the recipient name corrected or for my spouse and I to file married separately (which would greatly affect our education credits).

Also, I see some forum posts discussing if there is even a need to report this information, and I would appreciate if that could be elaborated in conjunction to my situation. Thank you so much in advance, we are a bit stressed out about the situation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If the distribution on Form 1099-Q doesn't exceed the amount of the student's qualifying expenses, then you don't have to report any of the distribution as income on your tax return. If the distribution exceeds these expenses, then you must report the earnings on the excess as "other income" on your tax return.

There's often confusion about who uses the 1099-Q for their tax return: the beneficiary student or the owner of the account (who may be a parent or other relative). The person who receives the funds from the paying institution and whose Social Security number is on the form has to report the 1099-Q on their tax return. This Investopedia article has more information.

Please also see this TurboTax tips article and this one for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
benmazz

@MonikaK1 Thank you for the response! Helps a ton. As a follow-up, if the distribution matched the expenses, which side does that fall under- report as income or able to go unreported?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If the distribution matched the qualified expenses, then the distribution didn't exceed the expenses and it doesn't have to be reported on a tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If the 1099-Q is required to be reported, then it's reported on the tax return of the person whose SSN is shown in the RECIPIENT’S TIN box on the 1099-Q. Could be the student, the parent or even the account custodian if they named themselves as the beneficiary recipient.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies